Saturday, February 9, 2008

Black History Month in Review: Are we Just Going Through the Motions?




Black History Month in Review:
Are we Just Going Through the Motions?

"...state the stats to stunt - I don't need to front I make history e'ry day - I don't need a month..."
Kanye West (Brandnew)




I keep hearing people mention to me that it's "Black History Month" and that this is the time to celebrate and remember such people as Martin Luther King, Harriet Tubman, Langston Hughes, Garret A. Morgan, Thurgood Marshall (just to name a few)...who have all played a crucial part in not only the lives of African Americans but the "Greater American Society" as we know it.

But as I continue to ponder, I have to admit that it seems as if [we] make this "Big-to-do" over the entire motnth of February and the importance of celebrating the lives and accomplishments of those who have "carried the crosses" before us, only to find out that when the month is over, [we] are back to the same old routine. And "Black History Month" is far from the brain.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the programs, speeches, marches and honorary gatherings that go on during this month, but what about the other eleven months of the year? I mean who's to say that we can't celebrate "Black History Accomplishments" on every day of the year? Now, I do remember sometime ago, that Mc Donald's in conjunction with the Tom Joyner Morning Show was doing a "Celebrate Black History 365" (or some similar title) that gave daily little known facts.

But what happened to that? It bothers me more and more each day to know that people [our people] don't take the time out to educate themselves and their families and friends about our own heritage. Thus, leaving room for confusion, manipulative thinking, blissful ignorance and complacency.

I come to grips of this on a weekly basis because
I tutor children and work with them in a lot of different areas and though I love these kids and love to see them excel in subjects where they believed that they were doomed, I can't help imagining the thought of wanting to smack their parents when I can hear them singing all versions of "Crank that Soulja Boy" known to man, but can't count past 100, or can't read past a first grade level, when they are in the sixth grade. These same children have no idea of what the black history movement is about, that slavery really existed and have the stories of Martin Luther King, Malcolm X and Thurgood Marshall all wrapped into one blob of wrong information.

Upon correction of their studies, and the stories of African American leaders I realize that there are more children who think this way and need to be supplied with the right information.

It sickens me to think that these children do not only have a clue of the reason behind the recognition of the month itself, but don't know the difference between a civil rights leader and their "favorite rapper's favorite rapper." (and no, I'm not a Hip-Hop or Rap basher, but it's time that we start facing some realities really quickly!!)

If the children are our future and we they aren't even being taught the correct information about those who have paved the way before them, then where does that leave all of us? Do we go through the same motions, year after year or do we make a change today? Do we celebrate "Black History Month" just because we realize that it's February and that's what's expected of us and if so, then what satisfaction do we receive from that? Are we failing ourselves? Are we failing the young leaders of today and tomorrow because we don't make changes to our own mindsets and practices?

by Erin Berry


No comments: